LEED

Ceratec is working with its world-wide partners to broaden our offer of sustainable green building supplies that will help you qualify for The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System™.

.

Ceratec History

Heritage

Ceratec was founded in 1949 under the name St-Lawrence ceramics as a flatware manufacturer with controlling interest held by Villeroy & Boch.

Ceramic tile production

By the 1950’s, Villeroy and Boch had phased out flatware in favor of ceramic tile production.

Early expansion

Also, an expansion program was implemented and locations were opened up across Canada with modern showrooms and a new emphasis on Villeroy & Boch products. Regrettably, this program was jeopardized in part by a lack of conformity to CSA standards (Sanitary ware), which required special adapters and training for proper installation.

1970's

End of an era

St.-Lawrence ceramics ceased its ceramic tile production in the 1970’s because of rising material and labor costs and, instead, decided to focus its energy on ceramic tile distribution. In doing so, customers could fully benefit from Ceratec’s decades of expertise.

A new start

In 1973, St.-Lawrence Ceramics changed its name to Ceratec in foresight of changing language laws in the Province of Quebec. This new name was more universal and lent itself to use in both French and English.

1980's

The recession

The recession at the beginning of the eighties and the sky rocketing interest rates was all that was needed to bring the 30 year expansion program to a halt. The company was in serious financial troubles and Villeroy & Boch was looking to liquidate their Canadian interests. Jean Paul Raiche, who had joined the company in 1956 as sales manager and quickly moved up the ranks to Vice President, in a bold move, bought out Villeroy & Boch’s interest in the company. Subsequently, branches were closed in Western Canada and a serious rationalization of the operations was implemented.

A new product line

In 1983, Ceratec was approached by Nevamar, an American manufacturer based in Odenton Maryland, to distribute a line of plastic laminates. By the late 1980’s, Nevamar had grown to become an important part of Ceratec’s product portfolio, contributing up to 70 percent of overall sales.

Family

During this same period, Ceratec was strengthened, as a family business, as Jean-Paul’s sons joined the business. This was the beginning of a new era for Ceratec and the company was able to nurse itself back to financial strength by the mid 1980’s.

Ceratec was founded in 1949 under the name St-Lawrence ceramics.

Jean Paul Raiche, who had joined the company in 1956 as sales manager and quickly moved up the ranks to Vice President, in a bold move, bought out Villeroy & Boch’s interest in the company.